The earliest windows are the two small lancet windows in the north and west walls of the tower, the one in the west wall having glowing yellow diamond panes. The stained glass windows in the nave and chancel are all nineteenth century or later.
The East window was given in memory of Edmund Sadler who died in 1857. There are Sadler graves just east of the south porch. The windows in the south wall of the nave were given by Andrew Fleming in 1904 – Faith in memory of his wife and the double window depicting the Angel at the Sepulchre (Hope and the three Marys) in memory of their children. The window in the north wall of the nave (Charity ) was given by Captain James Creagh Scott of Bepton Grange in memory of his wife to match the windows in the south wall. The others, a Sanctus and St Wilfrid, were subscribed for by parishioners and made in 1919.
Stone niche in the chancel
An interesting old feature located in the chancel is the tomb of Rado (also described as the Easter Sepulchre) This is believed to date from about 1300. The text below the niche has been transcribed on to a board and means ‘RADO DE LA HEDOL LIES HERE. . GOD GRANT HIM THE GREATEST MERCY’. Rado must have been a very large man as his tombstone with its carved cross or sword which lies outside the vestry door is 7 feet long.
War Memorial in Churchyard
This originally stood in the grounds of Bepton village elementary school (now a private house in Bepton known as ‘The Old Schoolhouse’). The school was closed in 1949 and the War Memorial was moved to St Mary’s Churchyard in 1952. Remembrance Sunday services take place by the War Memorial when wreaths of poppies are presented and the names of those commemorated on the Memorial are all read out.
You can enjoy more pictures of the church and the village taken by our very own Bepton Ranger.